Trouble and projects, closely related words. The way people act can be a great indicator to find out if your project is heading for trouble. Over the years I found some very useful phrases that could indicate bad news is coming;
- Thinking? That’s a luxury we can’t afford anymore!
- I’m doing the best I can!
- We are doing the best we can! (that’s even worse)
- That’s not my job!
- That’s (pointing) John’s job! He’s responsible for <whatever>
- Mysterious silence……
- It’s just a minor slip in the schedule….nothing to worry about….we will catch up..(yeah sure)
- A colleague wishing you good luck….
- Someone suggesting we could/should skip reviewing to catch up with the schedule….
- An increase use of lullaby words during meetings